7.15.2008

I can't agree with this one, Emily


I love almost everything I have ever read by Emily Dickinson --but I have not read anything near the upward of 1800 poems. (Click here or here if you are unfamiliar with her work and wish to be....)
Someone writes of Emily Dickinson "Though she lived in seclusion, she lived a passionate life." And of herself, she writes "I find ecstasy in living, the mere sense of living is joy enough" (letter, 1870).
With that later quote--with the more insight into life I accumulate (in other words, the older I get) I so totally agree.

However, one thing I do not agree with her on is her dislike of being published (she only published about a dozen of her poems and had her sister promise to burn the works after her death). Here is her opinion....

Publication – is the Auction
Of the Mind of Man –
Poverty – be justifying
For so foul a thing...
In the Parcel – Be the Merchant
Of the Heavenly Grace –
But reduce no Human Spirit
To Disgrace of Price
Emily Dickinson, c. 1863

Of course, today, publishing is any recording of our passion, perplexity, and pain. Even if no one buys it or reads it, it must be written down . . . .
What do you think?

5 comments:

Dr. Lu said...

Maybe one of Emily's problems [And she had many, I think!] was like mine: unable to find a willing publisher! ;-)

Anonymous said...

So I'm assuming her sister didn't destroy them? Or were there poems she was willing to have published, and some she wasn't?

MLH

Anonymous said...

Only you would put post-op pictures on your blog!! I sat here mesmerized, not believing that it could get worse, and it did! TMI!!!
MLH :)

Anonymous said...

Me again -
You could probably sell those cat face photos to a greeting card company. They are too hilarious!
What is "Enlaces"? It's on your sidebar.
MLH

Mindful Lines said...

MLH -- Enclaces = Links; and yes, the pictures can get much worse; and no, her sister did not destroy the poems!

Dr. Lu -- And thus, I self-publish to this extent. :)